Friday, March 9, 2012

Having doubts about our band?

So, I've been in a band for like, just about a year. We are all 16, same school, etc. With my lead guitarist we did form a band a while ago but it failed and then just reformed with different members. Just, the thing is, even though it's my dream to be on stage, etc. and all the sob story stuff, I'm just having doubts. I'm the lead singer of the band, and our lead guitarist, Sam* is really enthusiastic. He seems to think that, like Avenged Sevenfold (his fav band) because we're like them when they started, with nothing basically, that we're just gonna make it big. Seriously, we (are planning to) write our own songs. I've written one, on my own, which he tried adding guitar to but we seemed to have experienced 'writer's block' at that particular band practice. And we got our first gig a while ago, and then it got cancelled cause of travel or something, and I told him and he was just like 'ok cool.' Seriously I've always wanted to be on stage, NEVER have, and it barely bothers him. I mean, I love him, he's like my brother, love the rest of the band too, but I can't help doubting myself, and , admitedly, us. It seems so disloyal to write this, though. Any help at ALL? Anyone been in my position? I'll leave my YouTube link just in case, for critiscism, etc. The song 'Fading Photos' on there is the one I wrote, and other videos are just me singing, as Sam reckons we shouldn't record too many covers.



http://www.youtube.com/user/HannieeeAllS鈥?/a>Having doubts about our band?
You are 16. Your main focus should be for you to have fun and develop as a musician. Unfortunately at your age, good musicians are slim pickings. And gigging is tough also, although that will improve when you hit 21 and you and your friends can get into venues that serve alcohol. Bands do break up. But if you are friends, and have fun witht he situation, then don't ruin that. As you get older, drive, get some experience under your belt, and have a broader range of musicians to choose from, then you can look for someone who will fit best with you.

Im almost 20 years older than you, and my goal is still to have fun and develop, and I accomplish both.Having doubts about our band?
It's not unheard of for bands (even extremely successful ones) to break up. The vast majority don't "make it", some play for fun, some subsist and then peter away slowly, then the lucky few get critical recognition, but for whatever reason aren't as popular as others. Then there are the ones who do gain some popularity, are known for their classics, and don't do so well afterward in the future.



If you are in a high school band you might be able to pull through, though its cohesiveness will depend more on whether your mates want to go professional.

No comments:

Post a Comment