Tuesday, March 6, 2012

What amp is best to buy for an electric guitar?

I'm on my own. Just learning songs and stuff - im not in a band or anything.



I'm just starting out, so I have no clue. I can't afford to spend a lot of money. Do you reckon it'd be okay if I just bought a cheap one off ebay or should I buy it brand new? And what about other guitar gear that you need for an electric?



Thanks C=What amp is best to buy for an electric guitar?
Hello there,



I would suggest you get a 1x12 combo amp. Most small practice amps are 10 to 25 watts with either a 6 or 8 inch speaker. The small speaker tends to make you sound thin and tinny. Those amps do not have enough power to handle gain and distortion well; they run out of head room. There is more to the power of an amp than just how loud it is. It takes more power to handle gain and distortion than most beginners realize. I have never heard a lousy speaker in a 1x12 by Fender, Marshall, Peavey, Crate, Vox or Line 6. Each sounds slightly different, but all are good brands.



Tube amps have a great sound. But there is significant care and maintenance involved with using a tube amp. Most beginners just want to flip the switch and start playing. Therefore solid state amps are a better choice for beginners. There are many good solid state amps that have a good tube simulation in their sound. Since you have not been playing tube amps for decades, you probably will not hear the difference.



A good amp for the beginner is the Fender Mustang II. It is a 40 watt 1x12 combo modeling amp. It is versatile. It has many built in effects so you will not need to buy effects pedals for those effects. Effects pedals are not cheap. You can quickly tie up several hundred dollars in effects pedals. So the built in effects in the Mustang II is a significant feature for beginners. New it costs $200.



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOui83Gh9鈥?/a>



I am a firm believer in buying used gear. Used gear normally sells for half the price of new. You can get more for your money. If you can find a used amp locally, that is best. You can hear it before you buy. However, I am not opposed to buying bargains off ebay. I have a couple excellent amps I bought used on ebay. I am a bargain shopper there. If a great amp that interests me is selling dirt cheap I will try to get it (dirt cheap). If I am planning to spend the normal price (for used amp) I would check Craigslist to see what is available. But there are bargains sometimes on ebay. I bought a Traynor 40 watt tube amp on ebay. It should have sold for $350 to $450. It was about to close with a bid of $70. I got it for $100. It is a great sounding amp. So bargains can be found on ebay if you watch.



Later,What amp is best to buy for an electric guitar?
if you buy an amp off ebay, they're likely to be in poor shape. It'd be better to buy new.

Personally, i'd go with Marshall amps, but BadCat amps are also a good brandWhat amp is best to buy for an electric guitar?
Get a fender or ibanez (not sure i spelled that right)

i dont know muck about amps cause i havent played in forever so your best bet would be to go into a music store and ask their opinion and im sure they could help you fund exactly what your looking for hope that helps(:
  • apa 6th edition
  • genghis grill
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment